Tuesday, January 10, 2012

What's Wrong With A Little OCD?

I love loading the grocery store conveyer belt (is that what they're called?) by like items.  I group frozen meats together, frozen veggies, dairy products, produce, bread, canned items, boxed items, paper goods and miscellaneous stuff.  No, I'm not crazy! They can be loaded in any order so long as they are grouped by like item.  I do that for my own benefit because I like everything bagged logically to make it easier to unpack the groceries at home (one trip to the freezer, one trip to the pantry, etc.)  If I'm feeling particularly pleasant, I will also load the conveyer belt with the scanning bar facing the cashier. How nice of me is that?  However, this act of kindness is rarely noticed or appreciated by cashiers.  I did have a bag boy notice and praise my like item grouping recently.  I felt like we were kindred spirits until he proceeded to ramble on and on about how much he liked Brangelina.  I then realized he wasn't dealing with a full deck.  That got me thinking about whether I was dealing with a full deck.  Is it so wrong of me to get real joy from what others might consider OCD?

  • I am thrilled when I make "good time" commuting to and from work by cleverly predicting and avoiding traffic spots...it makes me feel smart or at least psychic 
  • I actually do have designated "cutting" scissors and "kitchen" scissors a la Martha Stewart
  • I like to stop the gas pump on whole dollar amounts
  • I love templates, auto text, binders with dividers, color coding, highlighting and lists (can you tell?)
  • I lay my clothes out for the week on Sunday night to minimize thinking in the mornings
  • I like planning ahead and coming home to a delicious dinner that has simmered in my crock pot while I was at work all day
  • Paper towels and toilet paper should always roll over because under is just crazy
  • Not to be Joan Crawford-ish but I hate wire hangers and love huggable hangers....hung with all the hooks facing the same way, pant legs facing the right, shirts facing left, etc
A little OCD goes along way to keep me organized and running smoothly.

No comments:

Post a Comment