Monday, December 5, 2011

He's was a doer, not a talker

Brandon:  "I LOVE Skippy peanut butter.  Skippy's the best!!!"

So I'm flipping through the channels and spot Paige Parks on a modeling show called "Scouted" on E!  My sister, Nicole, got several print and commercial modeling jobs with the Paige Parks Agency when she was a kid.  Brandon also went to Paige Parks for modeling/acting classes when he was younger.  One time, I remember them wanting him to read for a nationwide Skippy peanut butter commercial and they gave us a script about a paragraph long to memorize.  In just a few short minutes, my little Bran-Muffin memorized his lines and was repeating them to me verbatim and with great animation.  Disney Channel, here we come.  This kid's a star, I tell ya.  They called us in for the reading and I was bursting with pride.  I was well on my way to becoming a full blown co-dependent mother-of-a-child-star when all of a sudden I hear:

Brandon:  "I like..I, I love...uh, I like...no, I love Skipe...SSSSk...SSSSkiii...Sk-i-pe...Skipuh?..."

Uh, he did not get the job. 

Oh dear God.  What is all of this crazy-talk?  He said his lines perfectly just 2 minutes prior.  Pacino couldn't have done it better (the young Michael Corleone in Godfather I and II Pacino, not the older, crazy Pacino.)  Turns out Brandon pulled a Perry and decided to be a "doer" not a "talker."  He did well doin' photo shoots but never felt comfortable with the talkin' required for commercials.  At least not comfortable talking in front of other people...or cameras...or...people.  I didn't push him because it truly was painful for him to be center stage.  Even during school performances, he would cringe getting on stage and would slowly but surely inch his way so close to the edge of the stage, I thought he'd fall off. 

My little Muffin-Cakes (he's now 6'2") still tends to be on the shy side in public but he's still a supah-stah to me.




No comments:

Post a Comment